Disability Benefits & Funds


Disability Living Allowance for children/adults (DLA): is a tax free financial benefit that helps with the additional support individuals require as a result of their condition. DLA for children may help with the extra costs of looking after a child who: is under 16, has difficulties walking, or needs more looking after than a child of the same age who doesn't have disability.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP): From 8 April 2013 PIP has started to replace DLA for people aged 16 to 64. is the new benefit for people with disabilities who are aged 16 to 64. In order to check whether you are entitled to PIP or whether it affects your DLA you can use the online PIP checker.

Attendance Allowance: is a financial benefit for people aged 65 or over who need help with personal care. It is paid at 2 different rates and how much you get depends on the level of care that you need because of your disability. Attendance Allowance is not means-tested and it is tax free. 

Vehicles and Transport

Blue Badge: provides a range of parking benefits for disabled people with severe walking difficulties who travel either as drivers or as passengers

Disabled Persons Railcard: is for people with a disability that makes travelling by train difficult and entitles  you and a carer to reduced train fares.

Bus Pass: The Scotland-wide Free Bus Travel Scheme for Older and Disabled People provides free travel on local registered bus services and scheduled long distance bus journeys for people aged sixty or over and eligible disabled people

Vehicle tax exemptions: if you are disabled you may not have to pay vehicle tax

The Motability Scheme: can help you with leasing a car, powered wheelchair or scooter. In order to be eligible you need to be in receipt of one of the following,

  • the higher rate of the mobility component of DLA
  • War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement
  • the enhanced rate of the mobility component of PIP

Home and Housing

Self Directed Support: is a term that describes the ways in which individuals and families can have informed choice about how their support is provided to them. It is most commonly used in the delivery of social care and support but it can cover a much wider range of services.

Housing Benefit: You can get housing benefit to help you pay your rent if you are on a low income. It does not matter , if your landlord is the council, a housing association or a private landlord. You can also claim housing benefit if you rent a room in a hostel, or are a boarder.

Disabled Facilities Grants: help towards the costs of making changes to your home so you can continue to live there. The amount of financial support will depend on your household income and savings.

Winter Fuel Payment: is a tax free annual payment to help older people with heating costs. 

Council Tax Reduction: is a discount on your council tax bill if you are on a low income or claim benefits.

Low Income Families, Employment, Unemployment or Low Wages

Permitted Work: Those in receipt  of Employment and Support Allowance are permitted to work, providing it is within certain parameters. For further information see "claiming ESA if you work".

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA): is financial support for people who are unable to work s a result of their illness or disability. 

Income Support: Support to help people on a low income.

Working Tax Credit: is a benefit made to people who work and have a low income. It is a part of the current system of tax credits and is a means tested benefit.

Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA): is paid to help people who are unemployed that are looking for a job. If you've paid enough National Insurance Contributions you will be given a non-means tested contribution-based JSA. If you haven't, you will be paid  means-tested income-based JSA. Carer’s Allowance: is the main state benefit for carers. In order to receive it, you must be 16 or older and spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone with substantial caring needs. You can get £61.35 per week and Carer's Allowance is taxable.

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSAs): provides extra financial help for students who have extra costs while studying, because of their disability.

Special Educational Needs Support (SEN): is available to children who have a difficulty or disability which makes learning harder for them than for other children their age. 

Older People

Pension Credit: is an income related benefit that comes in tow parts and you may be eligible for one or both:

  • Guarantee Credit tops up your weekly income to a guaranteed minimum level
  • Savings Credit is extra money if you've got some savings or your income is higher than the basic State Pension

New State Pension: is a regular payment from the government that you can claim if you reach State Pension age on or after 6 April 2016. You can still get a State Pension if you have other income like a personal pension or workplace pension.

Health Care

NHS continuing healthcare: is a package of care provided by and solely funded by the NHS. In other words, the NHS is solely responsible for arranging and funding NHS continuing health care, including the costs of personal care, and accommodation if the care is in a care home or hospice.

Carers’ break and respite care: Short breaks or respite care is short term care that helps individuals or families take a break from the daily routine and demands of the caring situation. It can be provided in the home of the care recipient or in a variety of other community based or residential environments.

Funding Programmes

Family Fund: is the UK's largest grant-giving charity for families raising a disabled or seriously ill child or young person aged 17 or under.  

The Keys to Life, Time for You fund: is a funding program from the Scottish Government designed to make it easier for carers to have a well deserved break. The Scottish Government has committed £150,000 to establish a national ‘Keys to Life: Time for You’ fund. Individual carers can apply for a grant of up to £500 to pay for a break of their choice. The goal of the fund is to help improve the wellbeing of carers and the people they care for by enabling people to have a life outside of their caring role.